Last Modified on March 23, 2004
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIESRole of the Regular Education Teacher
Role of the Consultant Teacher
- Develop the structure of the class, including general curricula, discipline policy, physical layout, materials, etc.
- Plan daily lessons, activities, tests, assignments, etc. in collaboration with the special education teacher
- Supervise and direct paraprofessional in the classroom routine
- Collaborate with special educator on curriculum modifications, grading, report cards, grade/level transitions, etc.
Role of the Paraprofessional
- Provide modification recommendations for students in regard to materials and equipment, positive behavior plans, individualized curricula, etc.
- Provide modification recommendations for students in regard to lessons, activities, tests, assignments, grading, report cards, etc.
- Recommend instructional strategies for students
- Collaborate with classroom teacher to develop discipline policy
- Collaborate with the classroom teacher to develop lesson plans for the whole class where appropriate
- Work directly with students on an individual or group basis
- Work individually with students as they are doing class work, and help as necessary
- Teach specific skills. Reteach as necessary for individual students.
- Adapt or modify regular classroom materials, tests, and assignments
- IEP development with classroom teacher input
(from: Successful Inclusion Strategies by Susan Fitzell)
- Follow classroom policies developed by the classroom teacher
- Implement modifications developed by the teacher or specialist
- Provide direct instruction and facilitate learning opportunities for individuals and groups of students as planned by teacher or specialist
- Provide assistance to all students (classroom aide) or to a specific student (one-on-one aide)
- Can reteach specific skills as necessary
- Coordinate IEP modifications (sharing information and recommendations between specialist and classroom teacher)
- Chart progress (academically and behaviorally) for all students