Saugerties High School
Introduction: Your junior year is considered to be one of the most important years of your highschool career, and this course is designed to strengthen your reading, writing, and critical thinking skills. Novels will be paired with informational texts in order to prepare you for life after high school. Whether you choose to attend college, enroll in a trade school, or enter the workforce, you will be required to read a plethora of materials and be able to express your thoughts in a clear and coherent manner. I want you all to feel comfortable expressing your opinions and thoughts; however, I ask that you do this in a respectful manner.
For Virtual (Will change once we are back in the classroom)
Materials Required for Class:
Please bring the following with you to class every day:
- A notebook or chromebook to take notes
- Textbook, novels, or handouts as directed
- Be ready and willing to work individually, or in both small and large groups with classmates.
- Complete all assignments by the due date. Any assignment that is handed in late will result in a lower grade; unless your absence is excused.
- Failure to keep up with reading assignments may result in an inability to participate or complete in-class work and negatively affect your grade in this class.
- Cheating, copying, and plagiarizing are not tolerated and will result in a zero grade, parent contact, academic referral, and notification of honor societies/clubs, and any sports team you are involved in.
- Be inside the Google Meet at the schedules time. If you are late, you will be responsible for assignments that may have been given at the start of class.
- Respect the ideas and opinions expressed in class, even if you do not agree with them. Respect yourself, your teacher, and your classmates.
· You are NOT to complete any late or missing work from ANY subject during class time (Unless you are given permission). If you are completing late or missing English work during class then you will receive a zero for that assignment.
Classroom Rules during Virtual Learning
- Be on time! You are responsible for any work that was given at the start of class.
- Cameras should be on at all times unless directed to turn off.
- If you need to step away from the computer (bathroom, drink…) please let me know in the chat box. You may turn your camera off and turn back on when you return.
- The chat box is for questions/comments during instruction, not for personal conversations with friends.
- Do not share the google meet codes with anyone outside of this class.
- Grading will be total points (out of 100). Tests/quizzes/essays will count twice!