Music Theory- offered next year 2022-2023
Music Theory Syllabus
Welcome to Music Theory! I will be using Google Classroom so please sign up for this class and complete all assignments by the stated deadline. The code is:
- Class code
This course will explore the underlying, fundamental elements of music and how it applies to performing, listening, analyzing and composing. This course is the SUNY Ulster 3 credit MUS 101-Music Theory 1. Prior knowledge of music reading is required. More information will be forthcoming if you are interested in registering for three college credits, from SUNY ULSTER. In order to receive credits, you must pass the class and the final exam. To be sure that your credits transfer, you must receive an A or a B in the class. Other options may be available.
Topics Covered: Fundamentals of music notation, musical construction and analysis, scales, modes, intervals, solfege, triads, cadences, non-harmonic tones and basic melodic structures.
Activities: Improvisation, composition, analysis, rhythmic dictation, ear training, critical listening and performance.
Books: Music in Theory and Practice Volume 1- Bruce Benward; Chapters 1-6; Alfred M.T.
Pencil, Highlighters, Music Theory Book and Workbook and a Binder with a take home folder inside (The music theory books will be provided) Instruments are needed for various activities and exams. I will let students know ahead of time when their instruments should be brought to class.
Students will be expected to complete all assignments according to the given due date.
Classwork (Includes homework assignments) 25%
- Respect the teacher
- Respect others around you
- Respect materials
GIVE YOUR BEST EFFORT
- Refrain from talking
- No gum chewing or eating
- Stay focused on the task given
- Arrive to class on time
- Be prepared with all materials
- Give your best effort
- Dress code applies!!!
- Video camera/sound is on and ready to go but mute until asked to unmute
- All other household members are aware you are in class and should not be in the background.
- A secondary device, especially essential for music students, is ready and charged
I will be using Google Classroom so please sign up for this class and complete all assignments by the stated deadline. The class code is
- Class code
Website -go to www.saugerties.k12.ny.us
- go to the top bar and select Saugerties High School
- go to the blue bar at the top and select teachers and select Mrs. MacDougall
We will not be using Remind this year!
Music Theory -Units of Study
Chapter 1- Notation
Chapter 2- Scales, Tonality, Key, Modes
Chapter 3- Intervals and Transposition
Chapter 4- Chords
Chapter 5- Cadences and Non-Harmonic Tones
Chapter 6- Melodic Organization
Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
- Construct all major and minor scales
- Construct and identify all major and minor key signatures
- Construct and identify all intervals
- Construct and identify major, minor, augmented, diminished, and 7th chords
- Construct and identify tonal cadences
- Write and identify non-harmonic tones
Please sign below that you have read this syllabus and return to
Mrs. MacDougall by September 11th. Thank you!
Student Signature: _________________________________________________________________________
Student Email Address: ___________________________________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Signature: _____________________________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Email Address: ________________________________________________________
- Class code